Friday, March 18, 2011

Meatloaf



So is meatloaf weird? I had always thought it was just a joke meal - nobody really eats it, they just make fun of it. But it was in a recipe book my mother-in-law had and when I mentioned to my hubby that I thought I'd try it, he said, "Oh! I love meatloaf!" Hmmm. So I tried it yesterday for St. Patrick's day. My mother-in-law suggested a shamrock shape (you can kind of see it, right?). And then my neighbor suggested green mashed potatoes. So we were quite festive! :) And it was actually pretty good and mixed up very quickly. I'll definitely do this one again.

Meatloaf

1 ½ lbs ground beef

1 cup quick oats

2 eggs

½ cup milk

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 ½ teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon mustard

½ teaspoon pepper

½ teaspoon sage

½ teaspoon garlic powder

¾ cup catsup

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except catsup. Spread mixture in an ungreased loaf pan, or shape as desired in casserole dish. Spread catsup on loaf. Bake uncovered 1-1 ¼ hours. Makes 6 servings.

Freezer option: Prepare as directed except do not bake. Cover with aluminum foil or place in freezer bag. To serve, bake frozen meatloaf uncovered in 350 degree oven 2-2 ¼ hours.

For my family (2 adults, 2 eating children) I divided this in half and froze the other half for another day in a loaf pan with saran wrap, then pulled it out after it was solid and wrapped the saran wrap around it and popped it in a ziplock with the instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment