Friday, February 11, 2011

Pigs in a Blanket

Pigs in a Blanket

This recipe makes 16, so you will need 2 packages of hot dogs.

Mix in mixer and let stand 5 minutes:

2 cups warm water

2 tablespoons yeast

½ cup sugar

Add:

1 egg

2 teaspoons salt

¼ cup oil

5 cups flour

Knead 7 minutes. Let rise one hour. Divide in half. Roll out into two 18 inch circles. Use pizza cutter or knife to cut each into 8 pie wedges. Roll up hot dog in each wedge. At this point, if you are freezing them, stick them on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for a couple of hours. When frozen solid, put them in a freezer bag and label.

If you are eating them now, let them rise one hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

This recipe is so easy! And the "blanket" is absolutely delicious -- I never want to go back to a store bought hot dog bun! So I timed it the last time I did these and it takes about 3 1/2 hours from start to finish, or 2 hours to get it to the freezer stage. Most of that time is just letting the dough raise though - it really only took about 10 minutes to mix up and less than 10 minutes to roll out. So it's pretty feasible to crank out quite a few of them, just plan your time accordingly.

Also, when you pull them out of the freezer to use them, I usually put them on a cookie sheet and just warm up the oven a bit (not hot, just warmer than my house temp - ideal bread raising temp is 75 degrees, I believe) and stick them in there for about an hour and a half to two hours before I'm ready to bake them to speed up the raising. But maybe you could also pull them out of the freezer and stick them in the fridge the night before for a really slow raise??

(Got this from a blog somewhere...)

1 comment:

  1. I love your freezer food blogs! Keep the good ideas coming. The only thing that I don't like about freezer food is that the recipes say things such as, "Thaw all day, then bake in the oven" or like the one above-require you to think about what you are going to eat three hours before you eat them. For me, it defeats the purpose of having freezer food. I want something quick and easy that goes straight from the freezer to my oven to my plate, just like the freezer section of the grocery store-only better. Any thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete